From Planning to Holding the Inaugural Lecture
Newly appointed professors and privatdozents usually get an opportunity to plan an inaugural lecture within a year of their appointment. They are presented with possible dates for their lecture.
- Scheduling: Dates for inaugural lectures in the Fall Semester are scheduled in March/April and dates for inaugural lectures in the Spring Semester are scheduled in August/September.
- Deciding on the title: You should think about a potential title for your inaugural lecture as soon as possible after the date has been chosen, as we will ask you to record it in a form at the start of May/October.
Preparing/Organizing Your Inaugural Lecture
Inaugural lectures are a great opportunity for colleagues, friends and family to meet. To help you with the process of inviting your guests, we have created a PDF template that you can use for your personal invitation cards. You can fill it in with your details and send invitation cards online or print them out in the required size. Please note that there are separate templates for each faculty. They are suitable for digital distribution and for printing in color. If you prefer to print black and white, please use the neutral template.
Please note that these are word templates and you can change all details (e.g. name, topic of inaugural lecture). Please do not modify the layout. If you`d like to have the inviation printed we`re happy to provide the contact info of a printery. Team ATV
Inaugural lectures are held in UZH’s main lecture hall (KOL-G-201). If you want to, you are welcome to organize a trial run of your inaugural lecture beforehand.
Please contact the Room Allocation Services team as early as possible (ideally before the start of the semester) to arrange a date for this.
Many speakers hold a drinks reception (or “apéro”) for invited guests after their lecture. If you would also like to do this, please organize your drinks reception at least three weeks before the inaugural lecture.
The ZFV Team can provide you with more information on organizing drinks receptions.
Course of events
- Half an hour before the start of your lecture, Event Services will do a technical check with you in the Aula.
- Afterwards your colleagues and representatives of UZH will welcome you in the Faculty Room (KOL-E-11).
- A representative of your faculty will say a few words at the beginning of your lecture.
- Afterwards you will have around 40 minutes left to give your lecture.
- If you have planned an apéro, it will take place after the lecture in front of the Aula or in the Lichthof.
- Inaugural lectures are filmed and published online. Audience members who do not wish to be visible should sit at the periphery, as those seats will not be visible in the recording. Please inform your audience at the beginning of your lecture.
Our Team Inaugural Lectures is happy to assist you with any remaining questions.
The Planning Process - an Overview
The following flow chart shows the key stages in the planning process for inaugural lectures.